A New One For Us

Jan 15 2024

John Hurd

Fry

Number of Posts :

Was honestly surprised to see how much open water there was this morning on JerMar.  On the West side, there was ice out about 5 feet from the shoreline.  On the East side, it was frozen out to the reed/cattail line.  We hunted from the West side of the lake this morning using a Redneck Waterfowl blind we set up on the road.  The first group of Ringnecks snuck in on us and were sitting just outside of the decoys just after the legal shooting time.  We took two out of that group.  After that the birds all decoyed pretty well.  They came in groups of twos, threes, and fives.  I felt it was too cold and there was too much ice for me to feel comfortable having the dog retrieve the birds, so she stayed in the truck.  That meant we had to wait for them to float down to the dam or over to the edge for us to pick them up.  Other than having to sit in waders that froze solid, it was an amazing morning.  Finish out the day with a two-man limit.  3 Canvasbaks (1 hen), 2 Blue Bills, 2 Ringnecks, 1 Pintail, 1 Gadwall, 1 Mallard (hen), 1 Green wing, and 1 Black Bellied Whistling Duck.  You read correctly, a Black Bellied Whistling Duck. (Pictures included). I know it’s a first for us, wouldn’t be surprised if it was a first for PWH!

Jan 16 2024

Randy Rogers

Fry

Number of Posts :

Congratulations on the Whistler John!  That’s fsntastic!

Jan 16 2024

Patrick Bray

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hi John – sounds like yall shot an awesome mixed bag! Only time I’ve ever shot those was opening day at Lancaster back in ‘19. Really cool to see!

Jan 16 2024

John Hurd

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Patrick Bray

Hi John – sounds like yall shot an awesome mixed bag! Only time I’ve ever shot those was opening day at Lancaster back in ‘19. Really cool to see!

Patrick, that is so cool to know that there have been others taken on PWH lakes.  You never really hear anyone talking about them on any of the forums.

Thanks for sharing!

John