Green-winged Grenade/Frozen Sunday

Jan 15 2024

Randy Rogers

Fry

Number of Posts :

As if commanded, the skies exploded with GW right at shooting light.  We were bombarded with various sized groups for the first 30 minutes.  A lot decoyed, but some of them landed near the dam.  We had fragments of GW buzz us perodically every 15-45 minutes until almost 10:00.  At 0930 a Shoveler pair made a pass and decoyed perfectly! Both were dispatched.  We ended the day with 7 GW, 2 Spoonies and a Ringed-neck hen that came in early with a flock of teal.  Also had a beautiful pintail pair work pretty high and land at the far side of the dam.  Son tried to sneak up on them, but they were on to him.  Part II of this great hunt...my son brought a buddy.  It was his first duck hunt.  He shot a ring-neck, spoonie and teal.  We credited him with a limit!!  He might be hooked!! :-)   

This was the first time we’ve ever duck hunted in 11 degree weather.  I’m sure most of you know this, but these “sub-arctic” temps can wreak havoc on equipment.  Not just freezing calls and decoys, but guns too.  Friends pump froze up at one point and the action on my sons semi-auto froze as well.  I selflessly took one for the team, hauled the guns to the truck for 30-40 minutes to thaw out and left the boys with my trusty O/U.  If i’m being honest, it was hard to roll out of bed at 0400.  I was not looking forward to the hour plus drive, freezing temps, stinging wind in my face, frozen hand and toes…, but I’m really glad I got up.  Not only were we blessed with a great hunt, but we have a fun story from the “trenches”.   2 weeks left…

How often do y’all go out and break ice off of decoys?

Jan 16 2024

Patrick Bray

Fry

Number of Posts :

Y'all are troopers! It’s always good to get out there, I had to dig deep Sunday morning as well though.