03-Dec-2023: Crossroads - We got on them today...duck dinner tonight!

Dec 04 2023

Carrie Babcock

Fry

Number of Posts :

There was low fog this morning.  We got out to the pond about 40 minutes before hunting light.  The last time we went, Cole asked if we thought another blind would be beneficial, so we decided to split the famly.  My son and I were on the northside, pushed up next to the road with 19 decoys, a lucky duck spinner, and a spinning wing mojo drake mallard.  My husband and other son were in the blind with about three dozon floaters, few mojos, ripplers, and one goose pulsator.  At the start of shoot time there were already ducks on the pond.  Unfortuately, those birds seemed a little more educated than the others.  When we hit the teal call they would flair and take off in the opposite direction.  We didn’t take any shots until 20 minutes after shoot light because the fog was so low.  They came in fast and then disappeared.  3 gaddy’s were dropped from the blind. 15 minutes later we had four big ducks circle up high, so we hit the mallard call and they dropped right in range, my son took one shot and dropped a nice drake mallard.  First mallard of the year.  My son is a great shooter.  He had his limit within an hour.  The wind started to blow slightly so the fog disappeared.  Ducks came in about every 15 minutes until about 10am.  Within that time we dropped 5 green wing teal from the blind and 3 from the spot at the north end.  We had a bonus ring neck come in as we were picking up to round out the day at 18.  We picked up at 10am.  We should have had a 4 man limit but the green wings would short stop the decoys on the south side and would drop in on the pond.  The best shot of the day, came from my brand new Berretta A400 that I got for my birthday.  I got two teal with one shot.  It was a great day!  The owner came up to say hi.  Super nice man named Glen!  Glen said the birds finally started to push down this week.  All in all, we probably saw about 200 birds.  Cole, for my thoughts on another blind, it would be really hard to put one in on the North side because of the steepness next to the road. It also drops off fast.  The ground is harder than by blind but has about the same amount of vegetation (moderate moss throughout).  If you could figure it out how to put in another blind to the north end, it would be awesome!  Most of the birds flew between the north to the blind.