22-NOV-2023: First Time at Crossroads

Nov 23 2023

Carrie Babcock

Fry

Number of Posts :

Morning started out good.  Saw the first birds right at shotting light.  About 5 minutes after shooting light, there were two Gaddys that got up off the end of the pond and came over to our decoys.  They circled once and we got 1 of the Gaddys. Fifiteen minutes later, a group of teal circled our decoys.  They came in and we dropped 2 of the teal.  Next came in 1 teal from the left and we dropped him in the reeds and recovered him.  The next hour we had a ton of ducks flying overhead, look at the pond, and then would fly off.  1 teal splashed down in our decoys, he got up off the pond and we shot him.  As I walked out to get him, 1 georgous drake Gaddy came in from the right and I dropped him.  We stuck it out for another hour to see if anything else was going to happen.  We had a group of six ducks land at the other end of the pond.  We used our duck calls and they come over to us.  As they got up off the pond, I took one shot and downed 2.  The others flew off.  All and all a very successful day.  We say over 100 ducks in the area.  Great place to hunt.  The pond was really nice.  The pond had more moss than we expected but it was still reall nice.   Can’t wait to come back.

Nov 28 2023

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Carrie,

Thank you so much for sharing your story and the pictures! I love it, and I am really glad y’all are having fun.

Do you think the blind is in a good location, and do you think we should add a second blind to the lake?

Cole PWH

Nov 29 2023

Carrie Babcock

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Cole Porter

Carrie,

Thank you so much for sharing your story and the pictures! I love it, and I am really glad y’all are having fun.

Do you think the blind is in a good location, and do you think we should add a second blind to the lake?

Cole PWH

Hi Cole,

I don’t think the blind is in a bad location.  The water level is down a little so there is mud out front for about 10 yards, but is wasn’t bad.  I am sure the pond will fill up as it starts to rain.  I feel like the lake is big enough for a second blind.  A second blind on the north side might be nice because we had 15 to 20 birds land on the north pond edge and swim towards our decoys.  I have no idea how deep the pond is on that side so I don’t know if that is possible.  The birds seemed to come in from behind/over the tree line on that north side or from the west.

Thanks
Carrie