Solid Outing

Nov 20 2023

Randy Rogers

Fry

Number of Posts :

We got set up about 25 minutes early.  Shooting light was 6:31.  Majority of the action was from 6:20 to 6:50.  Just enough wind today to put a few ripples on the water and keep the decoys moving.  Best part of the day…  We spotted a large group (30ish) of red heads to the west, above and way beyond the trees.  We decided to call anyway.  To our surprise, the front few turned and the rest followed, straight towards the spread.  A turn to the north and a 180 had them passing right over us.  Aside from a bull elk bugling in your face, 30 ducks buzzing your blind at 60 mph is one of the coolest sounds in nature.  Just Awesome!  They circled again and cupped in.  We dropped 5 out of that group.  A lone goose came from the west as well.  He showed interest in our calling, but was too wise.  We did not throw out the goose decoys this morning so it just didn’t add up.  On a personal note, shells per bird improved quite a bit today.  And yes, we did take a few coot, which I am not above eating. :-)  Also, water level is just below the floor of the blind and gets about knee deep walking in.

Nov 28 2023

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Randy,

That looks like a lot of fun! Glad y’all had a good time!

Side note – Do you think we should add a second blind to the lake somewhere? Any thoughts?

Cole PWH

Dec 02 2023

Randy Rogers

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Cole Porter

Randy,

That looks like a lot of fun! Glad y’all had a good time!

Side note – Do you think we should add a second blind to the lake somewhere? Any thoughts?

Cole PWH

Cole,

We have had birds land at the north and south ends of Lake JerMar.  The birds that land to the south almost always swim to the decoys, the birds to the north never have.  I’m not sure if a second blind is needed, but the old blind seems to be in a good spot.  My only issue with that is looking straight into the sun for an hour or two.