Opening Weekend(Sunday)vFirst Time @ Crossroads

Nov 13 2023

Randy Rogers

Fry

Number of Posts :

Stayed at a really cool Air BnB called The Lazy Pony in Honey Grove on Saturday night, highly reccommended!!!  We were looking for a shorter drive compared to the 1 hour 15 min. or so from the house which turned out to be a 17 minute drive to Crosssroads!  And more importantly, a short drive back for breakfast!!  I can send details if interested.

We got set up about 25 minute before shooting light.  Action started 10 minutes before shooting light. Even had a few land in the spread 2 minutes early.  First shot of the season my younger son dropped a Mallard Drake.  We all followed the rest of the flock and took our eyes off the downed bird.  When the action was over we could not find it.  Not sure if he dove and swam off, but he snuck away somehow.  My son searched for a good 20 minutes wading through algae.  We had a group of 6 Green-wing circle, we cut them on the second pass and dropped 2 out of that group.  True to the description, a few small flocks landed at the NE corner of the lake.  In total we saw approx. 100+ birds.  Some far off, some high flyers, some just passing through, some checked us out and left.  A flock of blue-wing (15-20) circled twice.  We decided to give them one more swing, except they never swung.  The only birds that really committed to the spread were green-wing.  Saw a large gaggle of geese (migrators) about a mile away flying South.  Also for our enjoyment… we saw a beaver, 350# hog and a coyote chasing a buck and 2 doe.

We met the care-taker of Crossroads as we were packing up. Super nice guy.  Told us a little bit about the property and duck hunting history.

All in all, another great day to enjoy His Creation and make memories!

Wishing y’all a Great season!!!!